Sunday, April 03, 2005

The First Impression - cc

A Bio ---

I once took an IQ test online. The results indicated that I am a visionary philosopher. Let me put some thought into that and consider whether it's true....

Before I do that, I'll take a moment to introduce myself to the world, or at least those of you peering into the virtual world of the world wide web.

I believe first impressions are important, but so is being real. The typical scrubbed-up best-foot-forward version people usually present as "themselves" is often misleading. Just look at all the cases of the guy next-door "who would never hurt a fly" yet ended up going on a killing spree.... um, nevermind. That's not me. Maybe I should begin again.

My name is Joe, and when I'm not busy contemplating the cares of the world, I'm a pretty laid back guy. Born and raised in the surrounding suburbs of Chicago, I now have taken up residence in the heart of the city. My apt. (abbreviated to mimic actual size), work and school exist within about two miles of each other. I work at Harris Bank and attend Columbia College for journalism.

Actually, I attend the college for the experience and the all-important piece of paper that proves I graduated. I study journalism, and it's been a bit of a journey coming to that choice of profession. I remember sitting in my fifth grade classroom considering what I want to be "when I grow up," -- whenever that happens -- and thinking that journalism is the last option on the list. Oh Fate, how you mock me.

The truth is, I love words. I enjoy the act of writing, the scribing of thoughts into a tangible form, and I enjoy reading and trying to absorb the concepts others have faithfully written. When it comes down to it, though, I simply love a well-crafted piece of written work. Hence, after many changes of this supposed "visionary philosopher's" mind, I have settled on a profession that plants me directly in the thicket of a word buffet.

As a final thought, I'll leave you with a quote by E.B. White that describes one facet of my life very well. It was sent to me via e-mail by my sister, someone who knows me well.

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home