Sunday, April 17, 2005

Schiavo and the federal reach - CC

You know, after reading up a little bit on Federalism, I'm left with the same feeling I get in my gut whenever I read anything about government: kinda sick and annoyed.

Government is a sticky business. If we want to look at Federalism -- I mean really look at it -- then let's consider the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code), the illegal federal taxation of Americans, and our straw men. But that's a blog for another day.

Now I'm no political junkie nor a great fan of the federal government. But, when it comes to overstepping its bounds, those who wield federal influence will push the envelope until checked, justifably or not. The case of Terry Schiavo is no exception.

In this case, I am in agreement with George W. Bush that we should "err on the side of life." Terry survived for 15 years in her condition; she was not on life support beyond a feeding tube; she did not have any way of saying that she preferred death over her vegetative state.

In most situations, I would be generally opposed to Big Brother making decisions that could be handled on a local or state level. The exception would be in the case of life and death. My feeling is that in this case, even if done for the wrong reasons, the right decision was made on a federal level.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home